EMBRACE THE ATS: There’s no way around it. Even after you have determined your goals, established your brand, and prepared compelling career documents, you must get through the ATS before you get to a recruiter. So make certain your resume doesn’t get stuck in the ether by following these guidelines:
- Ensure your resume is in an ATS-friendly format. Infographics, text boxes, and complex tables do not translate well.
- Write with precision, economy, and correct grammar.
- Reflect valid keywords in context. Randomly inserting keywords in a list yields a lower score.
- Quantify your significant accomplishments.
- Be certain to identify on your resume “required” qualifications as noted in the job description.
If you follow these simple rules, you will greatly improve your ATS score, getting past that first gatekeeper, and getting seen by the recruiter and hiring team.